Monday, April 7, 2014

Life and absence of life

My colleague was sharing with me about her cousin who just discovered a tumor below her brain and need to go through a major ops.  The ops will damage her facial tissues and veins, leaving her face half paralyses. This is her 2nd op within 10 years. To add to the situation, her mum is currently a cancer patient - bone and lung. Her dad had passed away but she had just re-married to a German guy. 

What a heart breaking true story early in the morning. 

I remembered that time when the doctor informed us that my sis's left hand might be amputated. So I kept asking the doctor is there a possibility to keep her hand or what can we do after the surgery? Can we install a fake hand or what? But the surgeon roared at us and said "we are trying to keep her life here." I was so upset for my sis that I cried out. Guys don't get it. Beauty is so important to woman! The stares and finger pointing at a woman's flaws surely and easily land one into depression, no matter how strong the woman is.

The next thing I remembered was how unfortunate my sis was. We fell into the unlucky minority where the statistic showed remote probability of having the virus spread and grow after the surgery. It landed us into agony, sadness, frustration and anger. 

We have tons of questions that no one can answer. Where is miracle? What is this crap about god  (no matter which religion) bestow kindness to whoever do good? Why should we trust the unknown power when all we were given is nothing but false hopes over and over again? 

Well, now I am okay. No more disgruntlement over anything. Peaceful. Maybe that's her life, to bring us joy in the short time she had with us. 

Yet can't help but feel pretty affected when we hear stories like that. 

Keep the hopes high, no matter what you do.

No comments: